Aglio e Olio

On his way home from Blue Earth this afternoon,  Mike stopped by my parents' house to pick up the grass seed for our backyard (the third, and hopefully final, phase of our lawn reseeding project).  In addition to the seed, my mom sent him home with a special little treat for me: a bundle of fresh asparagus.  It is now officially spring!

Fresh asparagus is something I love, but I don't really see myself devoting the space to growing it in our own yard at this point.  So I am very grateful that my mom continues to have a large patch that she is willing to share. 

I was just about to steam the asparagus for dinner when I remembered the garden fresh cookbook I mentioned in this post.  A couple of quick flips through the cookbook, and I landed on the recipe for Aglio e Olio (Italian for garlic and oil).  This was super easy to make (it maybe took 15 minutes, tops).  Not only was it a fairly light (but still filling) meal, it had amazing flavor.  I used some of the last cloves of the Spanish Roja Garlic from last summer and I upped the asparagus to pasta ratio on the asparagus side.  The variations are endless.  This recipe is definitely a keeper!     

Aglio e Olio
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
8 oz. linguine, cooked and drained
3 cups steamed asparagus pieces
1/4 cup finely shredded Romano cheese
2 tablespoons snipped fresh Italian parsley
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Salt

In a small saucepan heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook about 1 minute (until fragrant) and remove from heat. 

Toss together pasta and asparagus in a large serving bowl.  Add garlic mixture and toss until coated.  Add cheese, parsley, and black pepper; salt to taste and toss one more time until just blended.  

Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Garden Fresh Meals Cookbook

Labels: , ,