Measuring Up: September 2013

As I've spent the past couple of weeks trying to wrap my mind around the whirlwind that was September, a light bulb finally went on while totaling up the September garden harvests this week: over half of what my garden has produced so far came in during the month of September.  No wonder it feels like all I accomplished last month was canning a lot of salsa! 

After finally stepping back to look at the big picture, I don't feel so bad about feeling a bit burnt out these past few weeks. From apples to zucchini, September was an intense month, straddling the vigor of summer and the abundance of fall:: 
There have been times when I wonder why I even bother trying keep up with tracking the harvests, but this "ah ha" moment is exactly the reason I do it: perspective.  Without these numbers, it's too easy to beat myself up over feeling unproductive when a big batch of salsa doesn't even make a dent in the pile, or feeling as though I'm somehow failing when there aren't enough hours in the day to keep up with the garden and everything else.  These numbers put it all into perspective and reminds me that I should be celebrating making it through September instead!  


Labels: