Raspberry Ginger Lime Jam

I have been slightly obsessed with this flavor combination since late last week, when I set out to see if I could save up enough berries to make a small batch of jam. I usually don't bother trying to make raspberry jam until the larger fall crop comes in, but last year's fall crop was a bust, so I wanted to make sure that I got at least one small batch in while the picking is good, just in case we are in for a repeat.  It took four or five pickings (sadly, the early crop slows down about as quickly as it speeds up), but I did eventually save up the two pounds I needed to make this batch of jam a go (and thankfully, our refrigerator was somewhat full this weekend, so I was able to successfully hide the berries from hungry hands until Monday night!).
The idea for this jam came together as I was contemplating what kind of raspberry jam to make with this small batch.  I wanted something unique, maybe even a little bold, and ginger and lime were the two possibilities on my short list that continued to linger in my mind, so it had to be done. Turns out, the mild obsession was quite justified!  The kitchen smelled positively heavenly with the rich sweetness of the fresh raspberries cooking down: the almost effervescent aroma of the ginger mixing with the berries and the heat, and of course the tartness of the lime juice.
The final product is a beautiful and complex jam.  The jam jelled* perfectly, giving it a really luscious texture and a bright fresh raspberry red color.  The flavors really do balance each other quite nicely; no one flavor out-shines or overpowers the others.  You have to keep going back to it, discovering new layers of flavor with each taste.    

*This is another no added pectin jam, using the same formula I used for my Old Fashioned Strawberry Jam.  If you're new to this method (or need a refresher course) click over for a more thorough description of the process and some helpful links. 
Raspberry Ginger Lime Jam
2 lbs. raspberries, washed and slightly crushed
1/2 - 1 cup sugar 

1/4  teaspoon powdered or fresh minced ginger
1 tablespoons lime juice


A day in advance, prepare berries and combine with 1/2 cup sugar.  Cover and allow to macerate up to 24 hours.  

In a shallow pan, slowly bring fruit mixture to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly.  Continue to cook until jam starts to thicken.  Stir in ginger and lime juice and taste for sweetness and overall flavor balance.  Add additional sugar or lime juice as needed.  Continue cooking until jam reaches jell point. 

Fill sterilized jars with jam, leaving half an inch headspace and process in hot water bath for 10 minutes. 

Makes 4 half pints

Labels: , , , ,