Measuring Up: September 2012

Well, the sun is setting on another garden season.  I write that statement with mixed feelings.  It's always kind of sad to feel the last of the growing season slip through my fingers, but this year there is almost a sense of relief that things are starting to quiet down, at least on the garden front. The past month has been so busy that I haven't really been able to enjoy the garden as much as I should have, and I feel unexpectedly a little guilty about that.  

Long gone are the relaxing evenings lingering in the garden; somewhere along the line they were replaced with a daily sprint to keep up with the fading daylight.  On more than one occasion in the past month, I harvested tomatoes with a flashlight.  Lucky for me, the garden was pretty forgiving.  And by forgiving, I mean that despite the fact that we had only a quarter inch of rain in all of September, and despite the fact that I was a pretty hands off gardener for the last month, it somehow still managed to produce nearly 150 pounds of produce.  Seriously, how amazing are vegetable plants?!

[My apologies in advance for the incredibly hard to read table.  For the past week, I've tried everything I know how to do, and I cannot get blogger to accept the higher resolution image.  Rather than hold this post up for another week while I try to figure it out, I'm positing the lower resolution image with the promise that I will come back to fix it as soon as I can figure out what the problem is.]  
For those of you who do not have Superman-like vision, the bottom line is a September total of 142.3 pounds and a year to date total of 469.1 pounds.

I wish I could say that I am celebrating another month of garden success with a relaxing afternoon of cleaning out the garden (or taking a nap?), but this busy season of our life has a few more weeks to go.  I really do appreciate those of you who are hanging in there during these slow months.  

Labels: