Harvest Pumpkin Cookies

It was a busy long weekend in our little corner of the world: we bought a new (to us) car, hosted a family get together, and celebrated our niece's 8th birthday.  In between all of that, I also packed up all of the Christmas decorations for the year, caught up on laundry and a few other chores, and spent some time in the kitchen cooking for the week ahead.  Fun, relaxing, productive... not too shabby, considering how being productive this time of year can sometimes be a real challenge.  I even finally got around the defrosting the chest freezer in the basement that was in desperate need of attention. 
 

As I was defrosting the freezer, I was reminded of the several bags of pumpkin puree I had frozen right after Thanksgiving. With the pumpkin now back on my radar, I was on a mission to find the perfect recipe for it.  I looked back through my bookmarks and saved recipes, but everything was too fallish: too rich and too dense.  Nothing seemed quite right for mid-January until I found this recipe for Harvest Pumpkin Cookies.  It was just what I was looking for: something a little lighter, something fun, and something to warm up the house.

   

And it did not let me down.  These cookies are so good.  The combination of the soft, cake-like cookie with toasted pecans and brown sugar frosting is fantastic.  We've been rationing them so they'll last, but I'm sure that at least one more bag of pumpkin will be meeting this recipe before the winter is over.


Harvest Pumpkin Cookies
For the cookies: 
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup pumpkin


For the frosting: 
6 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 cups powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Chop pecans. In a saute pan, toast pecans until fragrant. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and allspice. Set aside. In a large bowl (or mixer) cream together the sugar and butter. Add the egg. Stir in the pumpkin. Add flour mixture and mix until incorporated. (Do not over mix.) Stir in pecans by hand.
Drop with a teaspoon onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 – 12 minutes.
While cookies are in the oven, prepare the frosting. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add brown sugar and stir. Remove from heat and whisk in the powdered sugar. Add a teaspoon of water or more until you reach desired consistency. Frost the cookies.
Original recipe from Tasty Kitchen

Labels: , ,