Crockpot Applesauce

This summer I am featuring some of my favorite garden produce recipes. For the entire list, see the Recipes page or click on the recipes label.

The apple tree in our back yard (we're pretty sure it's a Haralson) is positively loaded this year after taking last year off to rest (my dad tells me there are things we can do to even out the all or nothing cycles, so I'm going to have to do a little research on that this winter).  With the recent cooler weather, I've been making small batches of applesauce in the crockpot. They don't last very long, but that seems to be working out just fine.  I'll take any excuse to have the smell of warm, cinnamon-y apples fill my house for a few hours.


The recipe I've been using is entirely based on my memory of how my mom made applesauce.  The beauty of it is that it is not only effortless, but entirely adaptable.  You can adjust the sugar, spices (I recommend adding just a tiny bit of nutmeg!), and quantity according to your tastes and needs.  Also, have I mentioned that it smells awesome? 

Crockpot Applesauce
10-15 apples
1/2 cup water
1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 - 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
lemon juice (optional)

Peel, quarter, and rinse the apples (optional: you can soak apples in water with a little lemon juice to keep them from browning, but I usually skip that step).  Add apples, water, sugar, and cinnamon to your crockpot and stir to coat apples with the sugar mixture.  Cover and set the crockpot to low until apples are completely soft and start to break apart (2-4 hours, depending on the variety of apple).  Leave as is for a chunkier applesauce (great to mix into pancake batter!) or use a food processor or immersion blender for a velvety smooth applesauce.  

Disclaimer: This recipe is not intended to be used for canning. 

Labels: , ,