Shaved Asparagus Pizza

Yes, this is the second asparagus post in a week, but I am telling you, this recipe is far too amazing not to share! Before you go any further, you need to quickly peak here and here, because the pictures on these two blogs are what sold me on giving this recipe a try.  Again, amazing.

I made this pizza over the weekend, but since my husband was working, I just made a small pizza as Mike is a little iffy on the whole asparagus thing in general (though I think this recipe could definitely sway him) and I wasn't sure how the pizza would be the next day as leftovers (turns out, it's still pretty great the next day).  It also turns out that this is probably my new favorite pizza recipe.  It tastes amazing and is really quite simple to make.  You will not be disappointed if you give it a try.

Shaved Asparagus Pizza
Pizza dough
Olive Oil
Thinly sliced fresh mozzarella cheese (shredded also works)
Asparagus
Chicken breast, cooked and shredded
Scallions, thinly sliced
Spreadable garlic herb cheese
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Prepare your pizza dough recipe of choice and roll it out over a dusting of cornmeal; brush the entire surface with olive oil.

To prepare the asparagus, use a vegetable peeler to shave thin ribbons from just below the tip, to the end of the stem (don't worry if some ribbons are uneven); half or quarter the tips lengthwise (I used 4 stems for a small 6-8 inch pizza). 

Start with an even layer of mozzarella, then add the asparagus ribbons and tips.  Dot the surface with chicken breast pieces and teaspoon-size dollops of the spreadable cheese (I used Rondele brand). Finish it off with the sliced scallions sprinkled over the top of the pizza, and season with a pinch of sea salt and some fresh ground pepper, to taste.  

Bake for 12-15 minutes in a preheated 500 degree oven, until cheese is bubbly and pizza crust is golden.

Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen and Annie's Eats.

Labels: , ,