Summer Sweetness

It's been a couple of months since I showed off the fruits of our early summer labor, so here's how everything is looking these days (I promise to reward you for indulging me at the end!).  Also, for those who are fellow gardeners, I've added a new page to the blog with additional details about what we planted this year. 

The new grass is filling in and the daylilies are thriving:



The garden in August:


My seriously prolific tomato plants:



... and from the other side of the fence:


Peppers, onions, and green beans:

   


Absolutely beautiful basil:


And sun sweetened raspberries:



And, as promised, the reward for indulging me and my garden:

This is currently my favorite way to prepare sweet corn.  It's so incredibly simple and can be eaten on its own or as a component in any number of meals (think burritos, salsa, rice and beans, salads...).  I'm putting up the butter version, which is a bit more indulgent, but I've just sprayed the pan with olive oil cooking spray and still had pretty delicious results. 

Roasted Sweet Corn with Cilantro
2 ears of sweet corn, cooked on the cob
1 Tablespoon butter
2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
pinch of sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste

Cook the sweet corn and allow to cool just enough so you can comfortably cut the cooked corn off of cob.  Melt butter in skillet and add corn, stirring while cooking until the corn starts to take on a golden-brown color.  Add the fresh cilantro, sea salt, and fresh ground pepper, and cook for another minute or two. 

Labels: , , , , , , ,